Saturday, July 21, 2007

EXODUS!!!

I am sorry for the lapse in my entries as of late. I have been trying to conserve my internet time until I get paid. I was grossly misinformed in terms of the Wi-Fi, it turns out it costs roughly 10 cents per minute and you have to buy $20 internet cards and ration the time as you see fit. I have learned quickly to do all my writing in word and just copy and paste.

Last night a group of us went to the supper club, which is the high falootin restaurant on board. It was Norm’s (the guy I am replacing) last night onboard so we all got dressed to the nines and did it up proper. The supper club is actually a really good deal considering what you get for the money. For $30 you get a 6 course meal, complete with the best of the best Eastern European girls at your beckon call. I started the meal off with the French onion soup, then had the spinach salad, some mushroom cappuccino (which really just tasted like ass), and various breads and such. For the main course, I had the two pound porterhouse with creamed spinach and wasabi mashed potatoes. I actually managed to get the entire steak down; mostly on principal (the Technical Director told me if I finish the thing she would give me 10 bucks….I still haven’t seen the money). For dessert I had some citrus cheesecake with raspberry ravioli and garnished with loads of odd looking sugary objects. Only in international waters can you get away with serving something so decadent.

Even though I had to put my suit on and dole out my last $30, it was well worth not having to eat the low protein gruel they serve you in the mess. It was also nice to be able to see Norm off with some style. The entire crew is awful fond of him, and I wish him all the best.

This morning was moving day for me, which was quite the fiasco. I know I use this analogy a lot, but the Benny Hill theme song would have been very appropriate for this endeavor. Instead of the tech cabin (Norm’s old room), I got moved into a musician’s cabin (the trombone player from Philly), his roommate moved down the hall into another cabin, that person’s roommate got bumped down to the cabin I was supposed to get, and so on and so forth. Plus, there were at least 4 other cabin changes going on within the department and the MSA office (crew administration) gave everyone the wrong keys. It also doesn’t help that the corridor is as narrow as a bathroom stall (and I’m not talking handicapped, folks) and it all had to be done at 9:30am sharp. Needless to say we had quite the mess on deck 3 forward.

Other than the great crew relocation project, today was pretty damn dull. I did not get off the ship as it was oppressively hot and humid and I am flat broke. I spent the day getting my room in order and sleeping. I did get some mail today, which was nice (thanks, Heather). Getting mail on the “Fun Ship” is almost identical to getting mail at camp. The cruise director reads through envelopes and you get to walk to the front of the staff meeting and see the envy on everyone’s face. How sweet it is!

Well folks, this is my first week running everything solo. I feel much like how maverick must have felt when he lost goose (gratuitous “Top Gun” references never hurt anybody). Wish me luck, and I should have more for you very soon (including some pictures from all the places I will actually see this week). As always, keep it on the reel and have a swell weekend.

Seabag.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Mic,
How is the new crib? Any bigger than the last one? Your meal at Norms sounds very nice!!
When the hell are these people paying you? Is this the reason my e-mail's to you have been undeliverable? I've attempted to send you more pictures but they all come back.
I'm glad to hear my letter was delivered safe and sound. If you want I can continue to write letters & spray the envelope with perfume. All those Eastern European women will be wondering whats up. Some would think a man is more desirable if they think they are spoken for.
Anyway just a thought!!

C Wrench said...

I do believe you have found the Woods on the Water. Make sure to get your case of beer for making it all the way around the outside of the ship without touching the water!!

Unknown said...

goodness, gracious, great balls of fire....

Anonymous said...

Mic ... We are enjoying your blog. Keep writing and you could be the next Ernest Hemingway. The story of your relocation reminded me alot of the US Army way of doing things: planned chaos. I picked up your car today and it looks great. The best grill availavble was from a Chevy Blazer., so it is a Chevey in the front and a GMC Jimmie in the back. Should mess with people's mind. Be careful on shore and don't get kidnapped by a band of Bahamian thugs, as we have no ransom money. Later, Dad