Tuesday, July 17, 2007

UnBELIZEable

I woke up this morning at 5:45, dead sure we had run aground. The entire ship listed very hard to starboard, so much so that the television shifted on the desk. Keep in mind that it is pitch black in the cabin and I have just been woken out of a very heavy sleep. Soon after, I heard the unmistakable sound of metal on metal. CRASH, BANG SHIMMY SHIMMY, CRASH BANG SHIMMY SHIMMY (and again 2,3,4 and crash, and bang, and shimmy two times, and cha cha, and cha cha now list 6,7,8!). I sat straight up in my bunk, hit my head on the ceiling (of course), and was seconds away from running down the hall with my life jacket screaming bloody murder. I did recover in time to realize it was only the anchor going in. I found out later that the reason for the dramatic list is, when we go into Belize, the channel is so narrow and ziggity zaggity that we have to turn on a dime to make it. I also found out that in some points in the channel we clear the bottom by 2 meters, how very reassuring! After a few deep breathes and positive thinking (“I am not on my way to a watery grave, I am NOT on my way to a watery grave”) I managed to get back to sleep. I woke up at what I thought was 11am which was not so much the case. My cell phone had just readjusted itself sometime in the night to local time (it was actually 1pm). Needless to say, I missed lunch and was pretty damn pissed about that.

The Illusionist isn’t performing tonight because of some issues with his flight. This is a pisser because I won’t have a chance to run through the show until next week (without the safety blanket of having somebody in the perch to help me through it). Such is life, you win some, you lose some, and in some cases you screw up and reveal time tested illusionist secrets.

I am smack dab in the middle of the dullest 3 hours of my life. I can rule out going to shore as the last tender left at 3. My roommate is taking a nap so I can’t watch TV. I am low on cash so I have to conserve my internet use and all crew messes, lounges, etc… are closed during port. I even tried to do laundry to ease the boredom but apparently today is Filipino wash day. Note to self, Tuesdays are prime pickings for Filipino brides…

I’m off to smoke cheap cigarettes and stare off on the coast of Central America, keep it on the mates,

Seabag

2 comments:

Heather said...

Where are you? Haven't seen anything in a few days?
Heather

Anonymous said...

Mic, Mom and I ran into your principal from Sts. Peter and Paul School, Mrs. Winsor at the club(with her ever-present Manhattan in hand. We told her about your new job on the ship as an "Entertainment Technician". Without missing a beat, she stated, "That's what he did all the way through school." Your legacy lives on. Maybe you should try your hand at standup ??!!